Friday, January 7, 2011

The Woman's Part In Me


Posthumus:
Could I find out
The woman's part in me—for there's no motion
That tends to vice in man, but I affirm
It is the woman's part; be it lying, note it,
The woman's; flattering, hers; deceiving, hers;
Lust and rank thoughts, hers, hers; revenges, hers;
Ambitions, covetings, change of prides, disdain,
Nice longing, slanders, mutability,
All faults that name, nay, that hell knows,
Why, hers, in part or all; but rather, all;
For even to vice
They are not constant, but are changing still . . 


One, its been forever and a day since I've written. Sorry, faithful readers--especially you anonymous commenter who loves to fill my comment box with weird links to virus-filled places.

Anyway, I write today on an important issue...models. I've been living in a bubble where the models were not what everyone has always claimed. Consider the bubble burst, the seams of my naivety have come undone & the innocence I once clung to, like a child to its teddy bear, has slipped precariously under my bed. I get what all the hub-bub is about. Models ARE stick thin and models DO aggravate a situation in our current society where young girls feel the need to be super thin. Good morning, brain, welcome to reality!

How could I be so delusional? Well, thats simple. My models are not those (super-thin-almost-falling-over-from-the-weight-of-their-own-heads) models. My models are plus size models. They make sense. They're curvy and they always have a bit of chub that no photo-shop could remove. Looking at them has made me feel good. I don't feel like eating, or the way I look, is a problem, because their beautiful round faces say otherwise. Their decorated bodies, wearing different styles of clothes, have let me know that there is world beyond--where cool clothes fit big girls. I like my models. My models reinforce something within me, rather than diminish something within me. Also, my models look like people I know or would see in real life.

I was well and good in my delusions until I stumbled upon Forever21's website, which my friend called "Forever Size 1." I didn't understand her meaning at first, then I clicked to see some of their clothes. Holy heck, girlfriends - you are all very, VERY thin. I started thinking about other websites, magazines and advertisements I've ignored most of my life. This stuff must be everywhere! I'm scared that there are others out there; more skinny, more emaciated versions of the female body for little girls everywhere to covet. "No!" I shouted to my coworker who looked at me funny, and excused this behavior as something "zany" I would do.

I want them to see my models, look at the differences, and distinguish that the skinny ones are not to be idolized. I want them to see my models, and know the differences in beauty--that there are different forms of it and not one size fits all (pun intended) standards to beauty. I just want them to see my models.

With much love to my models,

The Lady

No comments: