Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Love Looks Not With the Eyes

Helena:"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind."
A Midsummer Night's Dream (I, i, 234)

Much like a dieter, my enchantment with the new show More to Love had its ups and downs. One minute, I hated the show and all it stood for. The next minute, I loved every ridiculous second of forced romance & romantic theories that it threw in my face. What is my consensus? It’s ok and I will watch it again next week.

A show where the idea of being “big” and “plus sized” is exploited and worked into every second of the 1 hour Bachelor-esque concept seemed, at first, ridiculous. I couldn’t get over the whining, and I’m allowed to say whining as I am a plus-sized girl, that went on between the chubbettes.

“I’ve never had a date b/c I’m fat.”

“I never went to prom b/c I’m fat.”

“I’ve never had a second date because I’m fat,” said a girl who had clearly not reached the second date mark because of her oversized insanity & not her waistline.

I almost screamed at the T.V. a couple of times. Maybe, these things were closed off to you because you were too busy hating yourself more than anything! Don’t blame the fat—blame yourself!

It’s this type of self-loathing that I’ve never let myself fall prey to. I went to prom, I had awkward hook-ups and dates and I know just as many skinny girls who didn’t for many other reasons aside from their weight. Yet, this is what the show plays on—the insecurities of both big women and small women. You’re insecure, that’s why there were no dates, proms etc. There are millions of us insecure gals out there, just looking for love from guys who, sorry guys, don’t get it.
The point is, More to Love has caught my eye regardless of the overweight complaints. I want these girls to find love with their plus-sized guy. I want them to be happy and, with that, I watched eagerly wondering whom he’ll pick. Plus, the cattiness reigns supreme among the ladies which is always fun to watch.

I also like that fatties are getting a chance on the tube. It is pretty ridiculous that the only people, according to television & movies, that get any action are skinny-minis.

I heard a woman on the news say, "I don't want to watch fat people fall in love," and thusly decided she was a black-hearted cow.

Anyway, I just think we should feel better about ourselves. Look at how beautiful you are and wonder not what makes you repel guys, but what makes guys see you as something sexy!

To quote a somewhat obscure singer, Jesse James, from her song “Blue Jeans,”

“Don’t matter what ya wearin hey hey
Its about the way you wear it hey hey
Don’t matter what ya wearin hey hey
Its about the way ya hey hey
I step in my blue Jeans
Homewreck in my blue jeans
I got it from my momma so im blessed in my
Blue jeans”

Be blessed & feel good,

~The Lady~














No comments: